This is an adaptation from a recipe by Alison Roman, it can be found in her book Nothing Fancy. The marinated feta comes together very quickly and is extremely flavorful, think of pizza snack without a base.
Feel free to add more harissa paste, garlic or oil to your taste but I do believe it is very hard to mess this one up.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic 🧄
- 4 small (or 1 medium) ripe tomatoes 🍅
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- feta cheese
- Shrimp with shell 🦐 (optional)
Make the marinated feta first:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add thinly sliced garlic and cook, swirling the skillet occasionally, until the garlic is tender and nearly golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes- roughly chopped and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they've broken down into a thick, chunky sauce, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the harissa and continue to cook until the sauce is a bit more paste-like, another 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, then add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add more olive oil until it becomes savoury and spoonable.
- Place the feta in a serving dish or bowl and pour the tomato mixture over. Let sit fr a few minutes t allow the feta to absorb the flavours.
Then cook the shrimp 🦐:
- Hear a skillet with 2 tbsp of olive oil, when it is hot enough add the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper, and let it cook until the color has changed to pink and it is slightly brown, ~2 minutes.
- Flip the shrimp and let it cook for one more minute before adding some sliced garlic. After one minute the garlic will start to brown, then the shrimp should be pink and maybe it starts to brown in some spots- is ready 🦸.
Marinated Feta should be treated as tapas, therefore it goes with almost anything you can think about! Best enjoyed with a slice of rustic country bread.